Sunday, April 21, 2013

Clara's Hospital Stay (4/15 to 4/17/07)

I didn't begin this blog until March of 2009, so first antics, pictures, and videos of Clara's life are missing from it. I have wanted for some time to go back and fill in some highlights. Now that her birth story is finally complete, I'm going to take this opportunity to keep the ball rolling and continue with the adventure. 

As literally over a hundred pictures were snapped of Clara in those first three days, I tried to pick the ones that best depict what we did during our stay at the hospital. Turns out it involved a lot sitting and watching a sleeping baby, and everyone joined in this fun!

Up and at 'em (and already on the phone!). 

More accurately Clara at this point was back asleep, and I was actually still awake, never having gone to sleep. After we had finally settled into our room on the post-partem floor, it was well past three. I nursed Clara again before they took her away to bathe her and was left alone in the dark as Brec slept beside me on the couch to ponder the fact that I had actually given birth and and was in fact a mother. Deep thoughts. I remember they wheeled her back in some time after five, and I just stared at her in the bassinet beside my bed in disbelief that she was actually mine! So by 9 am, which is the time-stamp on this photo, I had breakfasted and was on the phone telling people to come on over to the hospital. :)

Su-su and Gramby got an early start from Richmond after a late night phone call announced Clara's arrival and met us at the hospital Sunday morning to meet their granddaughter.


Lucky that neon yellow date is on the picture, otherwise we'd never know when it was taken. ;)

A short little video of us in our little nest. Clara clearly has Su-su wrapped around her little finger if this is what she considers to be "trying her best". You be the judge.

Gramby takes his first turn holding Clara.


Lucy's back with nary a sign that she was up until past 2:30 am!


Pop-pop's turn to hold Clara in the daylight. I like this picture showing Clara's hands. All the nurses commented on how big they were.

Uh-oh, somebody's not happy to be coming unswaddled.

Back asleep, happily again in Mommy's arms.

Last but certainly not least, Nay-nay gets to hold little Clara.


Not happy at all about being burped.

One day old!


Daddy takes a turn cuddling to start the day.


Back in Su-su's arms. This picture reminded me that Clara was born without eyelashes, a fact that I didn't realize until all of a sudden on day 2, they started appearing.

Startle reflex: check.

I can hear the great, big sigh of comfort because I am now wearing my own, clean pajamas, having just finished that oh-so-glorious first post-partum shower.

Look who's changing his first diaper. I honestly have no idea if the nurses, the grandparents, or Brec changed Clara during our hospital stay, but I know that I never did until getting her ready to leave the hospital. But this picture proves Brec at least did it once while we were there.

I swear it looks like she's smiling here. Either I have giant hands, or she is really small. She is so teeny!


Big yawn.

Snuggled up with Mommy.

Later on in the afternoon, Nay-nay is back for more Clara time.

I think her eyelashes have grown since the morning!

Two days old! Today's the day, it's time to meet the outside world. You can tell by this series of pictures that she's clearly ecstatic about it (and rockin' a sun tan - the result of slightly elevated bilirubin levels).





In her outfit ready to go home. It's hard to believe she's wearing size 3 months, she's swimming in it. 


Daddy's little burrito baby.

We're really going to do this: all packed up and headed home. One small step for man, one giant leap for the Carson family.

We survived the drive home and believe me, it did seem treacherous. Nobody else on the road seemed to realize that we were carting precious cargo.

Welcome home!

No comments:

Post a Comment