One week ago tonight we welcomed Meghan Rhea Carson into the world at 8:01 pm on Monday, October 17, 2011. She was 9 lbs, 2 oz and 21 inches long.
At 1 pm I felt my first contraction while driving home from lunch. From there things slowly progressed until around 5:45 pm when my water broke during a particularly strong contraction. After that things became much more intense, and upon Nay-nay's arrival at our house we left for the hospital at 6:45 pm. We arrived there at 7 and were shown to the registration area. It quickly became apparent that we needed to be in a room. I was in no condition to fill out the "birth certificate worksheet" that they handed me. When we finally got into a room, the nurse proceeded to attempt to monitor the baby. I say attempt because I could really only stand to be doubled over on the bed and that was no position for her to get a reading. After a few minutes she decided that maybe the midwife should just go ahead and check me... that meant I had to climb onto the bed, something that at the time seemed an impossible task. I eventually made it and then following the internal exam was told that I was fully dilated but not to push because they weren't ready yet! After a few minutes it became apparent that baby had other ideas, and at 8:01 pm Meghan made her way into the world!
Trying to survive the monitoring, apparently in transition.

Baby Girl Carson! (Now of course Baby Meghan Carson!)


Feeling much better now.

One of the neatest things about her coming so fast was that Nay-nay was able to bring Clara over to the hospital that night to meet her new baby sister. She was ecstatic.

First feeding & greeting her big sister all at once.

V. excited big sister.

Clara and Nay-nay visited until about 9 at which time, they went home and I cleaned up a bit. Then we made the journey from labor & delivery to our post-partum room. I actually walked!
Brec snuggling with Meghan.

Busting out of the blankets.

At her bath later in the night: She did not enjoy being disrobed and cleaned.

What a day! Happy Birthday Meghan.
At 1 pm I felt my first contraction while driving home from lunch. From there things slowly progressed until around 5:45 pm when my water broke during a particularly strong contraction. After that things became much more intense, and upon Nay-nay's arrival at our house we left for the hospital at 6:45 pm. We arrived there at 7 and were shown to the registration area. It quickly became apparent that we needed to be in a room. I was in no condition to fill out the "birth certificate worksheet" that they handed me. When we finally got into a room, the nurse proceeded to attempt to monitor the baby. I say attempt because I could really only stand to be doubled over on the bed and that was no position for her to get a reading. After a few minutes she decided that maybe the midwife should just go ahead and check me... that meant I had to climb onto the bed, something that at the time seemed an impossible task. I eventually made it and then following the internal exam was told that I was fully dilated but not to push because they weren't ready yet! After a few minutes it became apparent that baby had other ideas, and at 8:01 pm Meghan made her way into the world!
Trying to survive the monitoring, apparently in transition.
Baby Girl Carson! (Now of course Baby Meghan Carson!)
Feeling much better now.
One of the neatest things about her coming so fast was that Nay-nay was able to bring Clara over to the hospital that night to meet her new baby sister. She was ecstatic.
First feeding & greeting her big sister all at once.
V. excited big sister.
Clara and Nay-nay visited until about 9 at which time, they went home and I cleaned up a bit. Then we made the journey from labor & delivery to our post-partum room. I actually walked!
Brec snuggling with Meghan.
Busting out of the blankets.
At her bath later in the night: She did not enjoy being disrobed and cleaned.
What a day! Happy Birthday Meghan.
See? Was that so hard? I know it was, but you're such a champ that I have high expectations! She's beautiful, you look great, and I love the pics (especially the one of all three kiddos up top)!
ReplyDeleteAwesome birth story and I love the pictures! Congrats!!
ReplyDeleteYay! I've got chills!
ReplyDelete