The first weekend in August we headed to northern Virginia on Saturday morning for an adventure. My UVA teammate Emily Trakas is having a baby (due Sept. 28!), and I was lucky enough to be able to attend her baby shower. Meghan and I spent the day in Vienna with these fine ladies while Nay-nay, Brec, Clara, and Jack traveled into the city to hit the museums.
First stop: National Gallery to eat lunch in the cafe'. People movers under the street connect two sides of the National Gallery. Jack takes in his surroundings.
Next up, Museum of Natural History! Very excited to see the dinosaurs.
There they are!
Out on the mall:
Capitol
Washington Monument or "pencil" as Jack called it.
Carousel
After a great day in the city, they headed back to Aunt Betts to crash for awhile. Then the crew came to pick me up from the shower and got to meet all the swim ladies.
The next morning we hit Atlantis for breakfast before heading out to the zoo. Placemats double as blank canvases.
National Zoo!
First stop: prairie dogs.
Tigers!
Checking out the various exhibits. Meghan really enjoyed my keys that day.
Snack time! Meghan is revitalized.
Pandas!
Meghan smiling in the Panda House.
As we were heading back to our car, I mentioned that the only thing I wished we could have seen was the orangutans traveling on the "O-line" across the zoo from the "Think Tank" to the Ape House. And wouldn't you know it, not five minutes later, this is what we saw:
Pit stop 30 mile from Richmond.
After staying up late the night before, walking all morning at the zoo, and sitting traffic all afternoon, Jack fell asleep five minutes from Nay-nay's house.
Great trip full of fabulous friends and fantastic sights.

So I'd thought from Nay-Nay's picture that you saw Kiko cross the O-line, but that's Kyle, and he's growing his adult coat of dreadlocks! I haven't been back to the zoo since I moved out to Cali, and obviously I missed a lot! (Did you see that there's a new panda cub as of yesterday?)
ReplyDelete