In keeping with tradition (aka something we did last year and thought we'd try again with baby in tow on the outside rather than on the inside), while the big kids were at Grandmas' for the week, we held our very own Raleigh Restaurant Week. The meals we had this year were less glamorous than last, but on the plus side they were delicious, and our credit card bill did not take such a hit. Our only rule was not to dine anywhere that we regularly do with the big kids.
First stop was Monday lunch at Beasley's Chicken & Honey. It was so delicious we went back Saturday before heading to Emerald Isle. Meghan loved the summer squash, the sweet corn and butter bean succotash, and the whipped Yukon Gold potatoes. Brec and I both devoured a quarter white meat covered in delicious gallberry honey and some buttermilk biscuits. A fantastic way to begin the week.
Dinner on Monday night was at Hot Point Cafe. This was a big disappointment. We didn't want to do anything to big or elaborate because of our big lunch and needing to keep things on the early side to accomodate Meghan's bed time. This was a restaurant in North Hills mall that looked promising. I had a bad feeling as soon as I looked at the menu which contained Indian, Mexican, and Italian dishes in addition to sandwiches. If there's one thing I've learned from Nay-nay, it's that if a restaurant has that many varied items on their menu, it's a safe bet that none of them will be very good. And they weren't. Brec made fun of me for being on my phone and snapped this picture to document. However, out the window it looked like a storm was a' brewin', and I was checking the radar!
Tuesday lunch was held at Thaiphoon Bistro. Yum! Meghan enjoyed sticky rice, as well samples of my tofu Pad Thai and Brec's tofu Pad Ma Keur. After such a satisfying lunch, I believe we stuck to sandwiches for dinner.
On Wednesday we walked from Brec's new office to Pie Bird to partake of some delicious hand pies. Meghan enjoyed some of the Curried Vegetable, Black Bean and Green Chile, and Tomato and Basil pies. Plus we ordered two different slices of dessert pies that I can't even recall, but I know were fantastic.
Wednesday night's dinner was take-home from the food truck, Klausie's Pizza. This way we had enough for dinner the next few nights while we were eating high on the hog for lunch. Lately our order has been the "Popeye-opolis" for which the toppings are spinach, feta, tomato, and minced garlic.
Thursday's lunch was at Centro. I ordered the fish tacos and was a bit disappointed. I should have stuck with my old same order the few times we'd been here previously of the enchiladas but decided to branch out. Meghan enjoyed the black beans.
We did end up going out to dinner on Thursday night, back to one of my favorite Chapel Hill spots, the Mediterranean Deli. Their grilled chicken pita sandwich with green pepper, onions, and tzatziki sauce is my favorite. Meghan enjoyed bean salad too.
Last lunch to bring our week to a close was at David's Dumpling and Noodle Bar. The dumplings were delicious and well as our entrees. Meghan really had fun with the chopsticks and enjoyed her noodles and dumplings. Here she's practicing "wingardium leviosa".
Someone is sad that restaurant week had to come to a close. Next up, Emerald Isle 2012!
No comments:
Post a Comment